Jun 4, 2014

Wednesday Writer Affirmations: Fear Of Not Being Interesting

Welcome to the first week one of my affirmations series! Let's see if I can carry this thing out in a way that makes some sense. As I explained more in this post, I made a list and checked it twice for my
writer fears. That is, a list of things I worry about when sitting down to my computer about to write. Sometimes these things translate into Writer's Block, sometimes they just settle and rise up whenever I sweep my brain for ideas.

The first one I will be discussing is: fear of not being interesting.


I think everyone goes through this every now and again, but for writers, I believe this is a common thread among us. What if my idea isn't as cool as when I first wrote it? What if my idea is totally cool and unique but I don't have the skills to translate it into a story? What if what I think is interesting is off, and no one will like what I've written?

Let's start with the affirmation part of this post. Step one says to clearly define what you want. For this post, I believe this is an attitude-changing type of affirmation:

  • I want to not worry about whether or not I'm interesting - at least to other people. 
  • I want to trust my instincts. 
  • I want to believe that someone will think my stories are interesting. 
There. Not bad, but a little long-winded. 

Step two says to visualize what life would be like for me if I started thinking this way. I would get a lot more writing done, that's for sure. And more writing means more to edit, which means a better story. Well, that would be nice. And hey, if I'm trusting my instincts, that means some reader will probably trust my instincts, too. 

Step three is to decide on my goal. I'll go with wanting to trust my instincts. Short, sweet, to the point - and encompasses the other two listed. 

Step four through seven can vary, but I think I can decide on my affirmation now! Let's take a look:

"I (step four - my pronoun of choice) will always (step five - present tense, active verb) trust my instincts."

There. I hope you enjoyed week one. "I will always trust my instincts." Be sure to check out this post on how to write affirmations in general.

See you next Wednesday, and Happy Writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment